Worship & Nurturing Community Online
Worship & Nurturing Community Online
Items on this page relate to online ministry. For information on phasing back to in-person worship, please refer to the Phasing Forward page.
- Content for Online Life Your Church Can Use
(Includes Worship materials - Opens Separate Page)
- Choir Rehearsals
- Technical How-To Guides Including Audio and Video
- Beyond Worship: Building Community Online
- Tips for Creating Effective Worship
- Stories from Sibling Churches
- Digital Content Workshop
A Facebook group for digital content creators in progressive churches to share and collaborate. Moderated by Alex Shea Will, South Church in Andover, MA.
ZOOM FAITH — encouragement. expertise. community. A Facebook group focused on using Zoom for congregational life. Moderated by Bruce Reyes-Chow, Presbyterian pastor, author, consultant, and coach.
Churches That Live Stream
A Facebook group formed in 2018 for churches to share their success stories (and failures) when it comes to technology. Has more than 9,000 members.
Virtual Choir Rehearsals - Dr. Keith Hampton led a webinar for the UCC Musicians Association on this topic July 18.
- Copyright and Music Streaming - information on licensing
Information on licensing, including a free temporary offer from OneLicense
- Legal Considerations for Online Worship: What Pastors and Worship Leaders Need to Know
A 30-minute video conversation between Heather Kimmel, UCC General Counsel, Rachel Hackenberg, Managing Editor of The Pilgrim Press, and Sue Blain, Minster for Worship and Gospel Arts for the UCC. Panelists address questions about copyright, legal implications, licensing, streaming, and more.
Streaming Options; Zoom, Facebook Live, others
Information on platforms you can use, with tips on using them
- Zoombombing - It's Worse
May 12 by Tiffany Vail
- Quick Guide For Using Zoom
A quick guide for using this video conferencing platform, including a printable PDF version you can share with folks in your congregation. Also Super Easy Guide to Zoom
- Hosting Zoom Gatherings with Lots of People
Tips from quick learning, lots of listening, and trial and error. Written for the United Church of Christ (and friends!) by Chris Davies, Faith Education, Innovation & Formation Team Leader
Creating Quality Video - guides by Drew Page
- Creating Video For Worship
Guidelines for shooting video
- Improving Sound In Videos
Guidelines for improving the sound in your videos
- Tutorial on Closed Captioning for YouTube Videos
A video showing how to edit the auto-generated closed captioned subtitles on a YouTube video.
Also: Making Better Videos for Online Church Services - a helpful video by Rev. Paul Bryant-Smith
SPOTLIGHT: Affordable Option for Making Phone Calls to the Entire Congregation
Terryville Church Uses Voice Broadcast System to Get the Word out
- Virtual Coffee Hours
Many churches are following online worship services with virtual coffee hours, where members can interact with one another via a video conferencing application like Zoom. Depending on your numbers, you may wish to invite people to sign up for particular times, or use something like Zoom's Breakout Rooms Feature to divide into smaller groups. You may also wish to have a phone-only option, so that those who do not have access to videoconferencing can simply call a number and talk to one another (this can also be done via Zoom, or other teleconferencing services.
Yes: An Online Retreat Can Be Holy Ground
April 3 by Karen Ziel
- Online Worship (may not be) the Answer You are Looking For
Thoughts on how to build community online - the Contemplative Cottage
- Why live streaming is not the full answer for churches during COVID-19 - Benjamin Windle
- Tips for Bringing Worship Alive and Keeping It Real in Live Stream - with Marcia McFee, Practical Resources for Churches
- Getting Started with Church On-line - Webinar by Practical Resources for Churches
- Notes on Sunday’s Live Streamed Church Services - 13 Tips Learned from the first week of church services being streamed, by Phil Cooke
COVID-19 Lockdown: Creating Live-streamed Worship in 3 Days - Hacking Christianity
Zoom Worship Preparation - for those new to Zoom, hosted by Bruce Reyes-Chow, First Presbyterian Church, Palo Alto
- Practical Resources for Churches Online Church Page
- SPOTLIGHT: Honk for a Hallelujah!
Inspired by drive-in movie experiences, a couple of Massachusetts pastors turned a church parking lot into a drive-in worship experience.