Our Whole Lives
Our Whole Lives
Our Whole Lives is a comprehensive, kindergarten through adult, sexuality education curriculum series which is based on a philosophy of comprehensive sexuality education. It has been designed to help participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behaviors. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas:
society and culture
Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, comprehensive sexuality education provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but also helps learners to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, social, and political aspects of sexuality as well.
The leader training helps prepare teachers by developing comfort, knowledge, and teaching skills necessary for leading a given level of Our Whole Lives appropriately and effectively. Training is required in order to teach this curriculum for the following reasons:
- It offers the opportunity to see Our Whole Lives activities modeled by trainers as they were intended to be conducted.
- It gives leaders a supportive environment to practice teaching and to receive constructive feedback.
- It allows leaders to network with other Our Whole Lives leaders and to share ideas about what will and won’t work with their groups.
- It provides an opportunity for leaders to get in touch with their own feelings, opinions, and experiences regarding sexuality.
To be certified as Our Whole Lives teachers, individuals are expected to:
- demonstrate a commitment to a values-based, comprehensive sexuality education;
- have a willingness to affirm the Our Whole Lives program goals, values, and philosophy;
- have an ability to provide a safe, engaging learning environment; and
- have an appreciation for working with people of diverse races, cultures, ages, abilities, and sexual and gender orientations.
At least two adults are required to be present at all times whenever Our Whole Lives is taught. Therefore, if a church or organization wants to teach Our Whole Lives, at least two adults (preferably different genders) need to attend a training.
Evaluation: Trainers will be evaluating participants on facilitation skills, comfort with the materials and behavioral appropriateness. Any concerns will be brought up with the individual. Participation in the training does not automatically certify you as an Our Whole Lives leader; you will be notified at the end of the training on whether or not you have been approved.
Parents appreciate the Our Whole Lives program because it helps them to fulfill their role as the primary educators of their children on issues of sexuality. It helps them guide their children and youth, in developmentally appropriate ways, in the understanding that we are responsible and accountable to God, ourselves, and others.
Children and youth who participate in the Our Whole Lives program in the church will know that their congregation cares about sexuality as a God-given part of live.
For more information about Our Whole Lives and the current list of trainings, please visit: www.ucc.org/justice_sexuality-education_our-whole-lives