Fulfilling Our Mission
Fulfilling Our Mission
The Southern New England Conference was founded on four vision priorities. Thanks to your church's generous contributions to the Conference via Proportional Giving, the staff of the Conference is working to fulfill that mission in a variety of ways as can be seen below.
(For a more complete financial picture, go to the Treasurer's Report.
This chart shows Conference expenses, divided up by these four essential values plus administrative costs:
- We understand the local church exists to make disciples of Jesus and we welcome all people unconditionally to share in this calling.
- We commit to making God’s love and justice real by loving our neighbors, children, and all of creation through our collective work, such as seeking racial, economic, environmental, and LGBTQ justice.
- We believe God calls us to bring new life as agents of change and so we embrace and encourage adaptive and transformative leadership wherever the Body of Christ is gathered.
- We encourage local congregations and varied ministry settings, inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit, to form covenant partnerships with all who work for the common good in their local communities and throughout the world.
We work to make disciples in two major ways: We provide local congregations with resources, training and networking in the area of faith formation and we support retreat centers and camps where young people and adults can grow in faith. Note: The Outdoor Ministries budget does not include expenses that are covered by outdoor ministry income.
Adaptive & Transformative Leadership
Our area ministers provide guidance, support and challenge as our churches navigate new terrain; our innovation team focuses on visioning, assessment, clergy and lay leadership and church transformation and renewal.
To find your church's Area Conference Minister, visit the Regions page. For more on the Center for Transformational Leadership, go to sneucc.org/transform.
Our covenant partnership budget includes our contributions to the national setting of the UCC - this represents 21.7 percent of regular operating income received in 2020, and was based on 2019 giving to the national setting by the three historic conferences. Also in this category is an allocation of about 70 percent of the cost of our Executive Conference Minister and his assistant; Rev. Goodwin is charged with nurturing partnerships and exploring new ones. The Communications and Technology costs in the Partnerships pie chart represent about 14% of the total Communications and Technology budget. The other 86% is allocated across other program and administrative areas.