On Saturday June 14 from 2:00 PM - 2:40 PM we will celebrate Andy’s life and ministry as part of our Conference’s Annual Meeting. This will not be a memorial service, but rather a time to remember and share what we learned from Andy about faith, generosity, and making God’s love and justice real.
If you or your church were touched by Andy’s ministry, you are welcome to attend this portion of Annual Meeting, regardless of whether or not you’re a delegate. We expect to have about 150 extra chairs for this part of the meeting for non-delegates who want to honor and remember Andy’s life and ministry. No registration is necessary. However, we are not able to provide lunch for non-delegates.
May 27, 2014 - Update
Arrangements: Calling hours will be held Tuesday, June 3, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall of Townsend Congregational Church, 3 Brookline Street, Townsend, MA. A Funeral Service will be held Wednesday, June 4, at 4:00 PM at the church.
A public worship service to celebrate Andy's life will also be held as part of the Conference Annual Meeting, being held June 13 - 14 at the Sturbridge Host Hotel and Conference Center in Sturbridge, MA. Specific details will be announced soon.
May 22, 2014
Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
More about Andy
He was known in the Massachusetts Conference for his quick wit, and took part in "stump the steward" games at several Annual Meetings, where he invited anyone to read him a Scripture passage - any passage - and he would explain how it related to stewardship and generosity. He never failed to come up with an answer.
He leaves his wife of 25 years, Carole S. (Jordan) Gustafson; two daughters, Laura Ashley Gustafson, Holly Elizabeth Gustafson both of Townsend; a brother and sister in law, Lawrence and Shelley Gustafson of South Hadley; a sister, Karen Gustafson of Stuart, FL; a grandchild, Avari Senneville; a nephew and several nieces.
In 1987, he was predeceased by his first wife, Priscilla (Morgan) Gustafson, his son , William A. Gustafson and his daughter, Abigail M. Gustafson.
Read his obituary
Funeral Home announcement
15. John Hudson wrote on 5/23/2014 2:03:13 AM
16. Mike Bennett wrote on 5/23/2014 7:16:10 AM
17. Margery Williams wrote on 5/23/2014 7:17:08 AM
18. Suzanne Woolston Bossert wrote on 5/23/2014 7:17:10 AM
19. Mark Seifried wrote on 5/23/2014 8:29:38 AM
20. Dee wrote on 5/23/2014 9:09:52 AM
21. Denise Karuth wrote on 5/23/2014 9:12:36 AM
22. Chuck Soule wrote on 5/23/2014 11:03:39 AM
23. Diane mix wrote on 5/23/2014 2:56:20 PM
24. John Zehring wrote on 5/23/2014 3:26:42 PM
25. Kathie Carpenter wrote on 5/23/2014 8:45:35 PM
26. Charlotte Bell wrote on 5/23/2014 9:42:07 PM
27. Sarah Hubbell wrote on 5/24/2014 7:51:50 AM
28. Larry Iannetti wrote on 5/26/2014 1:01:02 PM
29. Quentin Chin wrote on 5/26/2014 9:52:25 PM
30. Patsy Bjorling wrote on 5/27/2014 9:00:21 AM
32. Barbara Jenkins and Faye Hollender wrote on 5/27/2014 8:57:58 PM
34. wayne stevens wrote on 5/27/2014 11:31:51 PM
39. Linda Michel wrote on 5/29/2014 2:49:39 PM
Andy gave so fully to all he did and with such a joyous spirit. I can hear the words that greeted him as he took his last breath, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Jim Antal is a denominational leader, activist and public theologian. He led the 360 churches of the Massachusetts Conference United Church of Christ from 2006 to his retirement in 2018. An environmental activist from the first Earth Day in 1970, ...