This kind of training is critical to the life and health of a congregation, particularly in post-pandemic times, as:
- it supports both clergy and lay leaders in adapting the best possible methods and learning models for hybrid ministry;
- it supports both clergy and lay leaders in assessing, selecting, and adapting the best possible resources for their particular congregation in post-pandemic times, both in age-specific and intergenerational settings;
- it enlightens leaders about the spiritual development of children, youth, and adults, and the critical effectiveness of intergenerational worship & ministry; and
- it provides a foundation for lay faith formation and youth ministry leaders who are called to this ministry but may not have the theological, biblical, and educational background to serve in the best possible ways.
Who may participate in the Southern New England Conference’s Faith Formation Leadership Program?
ANYONE! Lay leaders, local church staff, authorized ministers — anyone who wants to further their education and understanding about the Bible, theology, Christian practices, and faith formation for all ages in the United Church of Christ is welcome to take advantage of this opportunity to expand their experiences in the Christian faith.
This program is offered as both a Certificate program, and as a series of classes that may be taken as stand-alone opportunities for those only interested in certain topics. Classes include a focus on faith formation for all ages and youth-specific ministries.
Classes offered this program year are:
- Making Disciples — Theories and Practices for the 21st Century
with Dr. Joshua Lunde-Whitler
- Youth Ministry 101 — Practices for a Sustainable Ministry
with Rev. Dave and Becky Stambaugh
- Faith Formation 101 — Practices for a Sustainable Ministry
with Larainne Wilson, M.Ed.
- Creating Safe Environments — Policies and Procedures
with Debby Kirk
- Developing Faith — Ages and Stages
with Rev. Dr. Ted E. Huffman
- Living Into the Mystery — Worship and Sacraments in the United Church of Christ
with Rev. Jenn Macy
- Racial Justice for Faith Formation & Youth Ministry Leaders
with Rev. James Ross
- Adaptive and Innovative Leadership for Faith Formation & Youth Ministry Leaders
with Rev. Susy Townsley
Those who minister in the church owe it to children, youth, and adults to offer the best possible models, resources, and support in faith formation ministries, particularly during these uncertain times. We owe it to our God as well. Join us this program year in making connections, honing and adapting your ministry skills, and igniting your passions for lifelong faith formation!
Debbie Gline Allen serves as a Minister of Faith Formation on the Conference’s Faith Formation Ministry Team. She also serves as the administrator of the SNEUCC Faith Formation Leadership Program. Her passion for ministry is with children and family...