A Place at the Table - What can we do?
Forty-nine million people in the U.S. (and one in four children) don't know where their next meal is coming from, despite our having the means to provide nutritious, affordable food for all Americans. How is that possible? This movie, co-produced by the Christian anti-hunger organization Bread for the World, examines the issue through the lens of three people who are struggling with food insecurity:
- Barbie, a single Philadelphia mother who grew up in poverty and is trying to provide a better life for her two kids;
- Rosie, a Colorado fifth-grader who often has to depend on friends and neighbors to feed her and has trouble concentrating in school; and
- Tremonica, a Mississippi second-grader whose asthma and health issues are exacerbated by the largely empty calories her hardworking mother can afford.
Also featuring Tom Colicchio, from "Top Chef," Oscar-winning actor Jeff Bridges, Rep. Jim McGovern, and many others.
The South East Area Missions is hosting showings of "A Place at the Table" during the month of October and November. The month also includes Bread for the World Sunday, Jubilee Sunday, three CROP Hunger Walks and church food pantry collections. Together, all of these events magnify our focus on ending hunger through changes in public policy.
Check for the time and church that works best for you. No reservations required, but for more information, get in touch with the contact person for each viewing. Following each movie will be a discussion of how we can work together to address the growing problem of poverty in our communities and around the nation.
- Congregational Christian Church of Somerset - Nov. 17 - 5:30 - Heather Ciandella email@example.com (moved from October 22)
- Christ Congregational Church, Brockton - Oct 24 - 7:00 - Ruth Poole firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Congregational Church, Whitman - Oct 27 - 5:30 - Marcia Sawdy email@example.com
Resources From Bread For the World to follow up on "A Place at the Table":
- A discussion guide for "A Place at the Table"
- A brief video of Barbie's and Rosie's stories
- A petition to the President to put hunger and poverty on the national agenda, and answer the film's callto resume our progress towards ending hunger in the U.S. and abroad Letter writing to your member of Congress
- Order a copy of Bread for the World's "Offering of Letters" project based on "A Place at the Table," to help raise consciousness in Congress about the growing poverty and hunger here at home.
We have made progress against hunger in the past-and we can do it again!
Sponsored by South East Area Missions