Please support An Act Relative to House Bill 529 Improving the Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled and Children Program (EAEDC). Lead sponsors are Representative Jim O'Day and Senator Patricia Jehlen. Currently the bill is in the Joint Committee on Elder Affairs.What is EAEDC?
EAEDC is a state-funded cash assistance and benefits program providing support to approximately 22,000 extremely low-income individuals, administered by the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA).
Who is served by EAEDC?
· Extremely low-income adults 65 years of age or older who are in the process of applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
· Adults experiencing a mental or physical disability that inhibits their ability to work for at least 60 days
· Participants in the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission’s programs
· Certain caretakers of children who are not eligible to receive Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC) program benefits or caretakers of adults with severe disabilities
· Lawfully present immigrants who are residents of Massachusetts
To learn how this bill would help low income elderly, disabled and children, and to find out which state officials are endorsing it, please download this flyer.
Endorsed by the MACUCC Task Team to End Homelessness
Linda Bessom, SND, is the Senior Community Organizer for the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless. She represents the Coalition on the MACUCC's Task Force to End Homelessness.