1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.
From John 14 (NRSV) 1
Resources for Grieving
Grief Support for Children, Youth and Families - curated by the SNEUCC
New Rituals for Pandemic Grief - A collection and gathering of best practices in this season of isolation
April 29 Bereavement Workshop with Cynthia Terry: Video - PowerPoint Slides
Cynthia Terry has been the college chaplain at Goucher College (Baltimore, MD) for 15 years. She began her ministry as Associate University Chaplain at Yale, where she served for 12 years. She has facilitated weekly bereavement groups for students for nearly 25 years.
Digital Pastoral Care for Grief: Individual & Collective
Some considered thoughts from the United Church of Christ, National Setting, 2030 clergy network, Cohort, and digital pastors
That Discomfort You’re Feeling Is Grief
By Scott Berinato, March 23, 2020, Harvard Business Review
- The National Association for Grieving Children
- Resources from SCHOLASTIC on grieving
- Hospice Foundation Grief Resources
- Center for Loss and Trauma
- The Center for Complicated Grief
- Grief Watch (Great resources once you get past the items for sale)
- SAVE: Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Masters in Counseling website offers some of the websites above and has some groups and blogs where folks may find information and comfort
- Hospice Foundation provides links to several organizations that provide grief groups
Resources for Funerals, Memorials, Remembrances
Mass Council of Churches guide to Christian Funerals
A common sense guide with wording to use for church policy
- Gratefulness.org: A place to ‘light a candle’ and remember a name
- A video from a funeral director for families of those quarantined and close to death
- See OneRoom for online memorial/funeral gathering rituals
- Also GatheringUs—about celebrating lives together online
- LifeWeb360 is an online platform for creating memorial scrapbooks, etc.
www.opentohope.com - has articles organized by type of loss
Share what you have learned about offering online grief support both within your church and within our community.
See also: Related Prayers and Liturgies
Please send to a member of our SNEUCC staff any ideas, resources or insights you may have.