Rev. Dr. Sue Foster is pastor of the East Woodstock Congregational Church and author of Retreats to Go: Twelve Creative Programs that Renew and Refresh.
Scripture: 2 Kings 5: 1-14 (NRSV)
'But when Elisha the man of God heard that the king of Israel had torn his clothes, he sent a message to the king, ‘Why have you torn your clothes? Let him come to me, that he may learn that there is a prophet in Israel.' (2 Kings 5:8)
Reflection: Who has the wisdom?
Trees clap their hands.
Sheer silence contains your still, small voice.
All of creation reflects your glory.
Sometimes angels sing and sometimes even donkeys talk.
Are we listening?
Help us to listen.
Help us to hear you, still speaking God.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at email@example.com.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war
- For those grieving or suffering due to mass shootings
- For those families who rely on summer meal programs but may not get food because the Covid-19 pandemic waivers that provided school districts with much more freedom to distribute food to kids during the break were not extended
- For those whose voices are being silenced or ignored
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For those who are generous in sharing their knowledge and compassion
This Week in History:
June 28, 1969 (53 years ago): In what is now regarded by many as history’s first major protest on behalf of equal rights for LGBTQ people, a police raid of the Stonewall Inn—a popular gay club located in New York City—turns violent as patrons and local sympathizers begin rioting against the authorities. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”