Rev. Dr. Ruth Shaver is Interim Pastor of The Congregational Church of Mansfield, MA, Interim Consultant for North Community Church, Marshfield, MA, and Moderator of the Old Colony Association. She is a member of Second Congregational Church, Attleboro, and resides in Pawtucket, RI, where she enjoys cooking, reading, and watching far too much of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Star Trek and Star Wars franchises than she should.
Scripture: Matthew 1:18b-21 (NRSV)
When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.’
Reflection: The Love of a Father
God of faithful, loving fathers, we give thanks for the fathers and father figures in our lives. Whether these men were present in our lives from before our births or came into our lives later, we are shaped by their actions. And whether they are still with us or have passed from this world, we are grateful for their love. In the name of Joseph’s son, Jesus, we pray. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~41,300 gun violence deaths in the US this year.
- For those who ache for the love of a father.
- For the friends and families of The Rev. Lois A. Bryant, who pastored at the former Knightsville Franklin Congregational Church in Cranston, Rhode Island, for ~25 years, and and was a member of the Smithfield Avenue Congregational Church, Pawtucket, where she was the director of Christian Education for many years as well.
- For the friends and families of The Rev. Sylvia F. Robinson, a retired pastor of the South Congregational Church in Lawrence, MA, who before being ordained, served alongside her pastor husband for two decades in Massachusetts, Connecticut and California. Sylvia's Life Celebration will be held on January 21, 2023 in the Christ Church United, 10 Arlington Street, Dracut at 10:00 AM.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For good fathers and father-like figures in our lives.
This Week in History:
December 16, 1773 (249 years ago): In Boston Harbor, a group of Massachusetts colonists disguised as Mohawk Indians boarded three British tea ships and dumped 342 chests of tea into the harbor. The midnight raid, popularly known as the “Boston Tea Party,” was in protest of the British Parliament’s Tea Act of 1773, and was one of the pivotal events leading to the American Revolution. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”
The Rev. Dr. Ruth Shaver is a General Synod delegate Old Colony Association Moderator, Interim Pastor at The Congregational Church of Mansfield, MA, and a member of Second Congregational Church UCC in Attleboro, MA