The Rev. Dr. John A. Nelson is pastor of the Congregational Church of Salisbury (CT), UCC.
Scripture: Amos 7:7-8 (trans. Robert Alter, adapt.)
“Thus did the Holy One show me: And, look, the Master was stationed by a wall built with a plumb line, and in His hand was a plumb line. And the Holy One said to me; “What do you see, Amos?” And I said, “A plumb line.” And the Master said to me, “I am about to place a plumb line in the midst of My people Israel. I will no longer forgive them.”
Reflection: Keeping our Walls Plumb
Holy One, guide us to tools worthy and true, for building beloved communities sturdy enough to shelter all who seek a place of welcome, dignity, and safety. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war
- For those grieving or suffering due to mass shootings
- For Drew Page, diagnosed with cancer in 2020, who stepped down from the SNEUCC staff and as editor of this newsletter in order to focus on his health and family
- For the family and friends of The Rev. Edith P. O'Donnell, who was actively involved in the Litchfield Congregational Church, and in the statewide UCC Connecticut Conference and churches in a variety of capacities, and died June 17, 2022.
- For those who do not have freedom
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For those who are lived expressions of the righteousness and justice that are woven together with the vision of shalom
This Week in History:
July 2, 1964 (58 years ago): U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs into law the historic Civil Rights Act in a nationally televised ceremony at the White House. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”