Rev. Matthew Crebbin has been the Lead Pastor at Newtown Congregational Church, UCC in Newtown, CT since 2007. His is also a co-creator and facilitator for healingthehealers.org which provides online resources to assist faith leaders in ministering in the midst of communal and personal trauma.
Scripture: Luke 15: 1-32 (NRSV)
Key verse: Luke 15: 2
And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, ‘This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
Reflection: Living In Grace
Holy One, in a world full of terrible and beautiful things, we pray that you will grant us the wisdom and courage to live fully into your grace. Assist us to see with the eyes of faith that we might recognize the holy in every person we meet. May the way of fear have no power over us as we continue to trust in the power and promise of living in your grace. Amen
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the family and friends of The Rev. Dr. Ben New, who died August 20, 2022. Ben pastored in Shelburne Falls and Salem, MA, and was heavily involved in work throughout the Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ, serving on several different committees through the years.
- For the family and friends of The Rev. Richard F. Jones, who died August 28, 2022. He was the former pastor of the First Parish of Bolton, MA and previously served the Central Association as Moderator.
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war
- For those grieving or suffering due to the over 29,600 gun violence deaths in the US this year, including the 450 reported incidents of mass shootings
- For those whose lives are being upended by the water crisis
- For those living in fear
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For all the beautiful things in life
This Week in History:
September 11, 2001 (21 years ago): Attack on the United States, where almost 3,000 individuals were killed and thousands more injured as a result of the terrorist attacks in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington DC, and in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”