Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:6-19 (NRSV)
“…the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith…As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty…so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.”
Reflection: Into the Heartbeat
O God, help us release our hold on habits of supremacy; help us desire more deeply life in Christ.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~31,500 gun violence deaths in the US this year.
- For the friends and family of The Rev. Edward R. Mayes who died September 4, 2022. Mayes served Flagg Road United Church of Christ in West Hartford, CT for 30 years before retiring and then had interim positions in various Connecticut churches.
- For those who mourn the loss of Queen Elizabeth 2 -- a mother and grandmother
as well as a friend and monarch
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For those who share their blessings
- For the artists who offer inspiration with their crafts
This Week in History:
September 22, 1862 (160 years ago): President Abraham Lincoln issues a preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, which sets a date for the freedom of more than 3 million enslaved in the United States and recasts the Civil War as a fight against slavery. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”
Lindsey Peterson is a General Synod delegate and is the Designated Term Pastor at the South Congregational Church in Springfield, MA.