Originally from North Carolina, Rev. Zachary Mabe is the Pastor of the Terryville Congregational Church, UCC, where he's been since 2005.
Scripture: Psalm 130Waiting for Divine Redemption
A Song of Ascents.
Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my supplications!
If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with you,
so that you may be revered.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
more than those who watch for the morning,
more than those who watch for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the Lord!
For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
and with him is great power to redeem.
It is he who will redeem Israel
from all its iniquities.
Reflection:This summer I mark two important moments: 15 years since I was ordained, and 10 years since my mother passed. I miss my mom. In 15 years of ordained ministry, there is lots I've learned, lots I wish I could share with her. One of the most powerful lessons I've learned is that everyone - at some point or another - experiences some level of pain and suffering. The Psalmist cries out, "Out of the depths I cry... hear my voice!"
Another thing I've learned is that prayer is the single most important spiritual practice in my faith journey. I do a lot of crying out to God, and it helps.
The Psalmist goes on to name some of the key aspects of our faith: forgiveness, waiting, hope, redemption.
After 15 years in ministry, I don't have all the answers about how to deal with the pain and suffering that everyone will experience at some point or another. But I know this: God does. Cry out to God. With God, there is forgiveness, waiting, hope and redemption. God hears us when we cry out. Prayer helps.
O God, thank you for hearing me when I cry out to you. Speak to me the words you want me to hear, and may your will be done. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Drew Page at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- for the Staff, Volunteers, and Campers at Silver Lake Conference Center as Week 1 of the summer season begins.
- for the Rev. Dr. Denise Esslinger, pastor of the Gilead Congregational Church UCC, and her family, upon the death of her father, the Rev. Dr. Donald Esslinger
- for the Rev. Dr. Sara Worcester, Senior Pastor of Buckingham Congregational Church, and her family. Sara's husband is scheduled for a second bone marrow transplant in July, and their son Sam will be the donor
- the family and friends of Rev. Sidat Balgobin, retired pastor and contributing devotions author for the CT Conference. Sidat died on June 21.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- for the arrival of summer
- for Rev. Dr. Tom Clough who begins his retirement after serving as the Eastern Regional Minister for the CT Conference
Please Remember These Connecticut Conference Churches
In Your Prayers:
Park Congregational UCC
The First Congregational Church of Greenwich
First Congregational Church of Old Lyme
First Church of Christ in Saybrook (Congregational)
Orange Congregational Church
This Week in History:
June 26, 1945 (73 years ago): Delegates from 50 nations sign the United Nations Charter. This new world body, intended to create collaboration between nations in order to prevent wars, was formed after the League of Nations failed to arbitrate conflicts which lead to World War II. The charter was ratified in October, and the first General Assembly met in January, 1946.
June 25, 2018