The Rev. Baxter Chism will be celebrated on October 1, 2023, for his 5 years of ministry at Tewksbury Congregational Church. He is a native of Alabama and served rural and suburban churches in north central and east central Alabama before coming to Massachusetts.
Scripture: Matthew 18:20 (NRSV)
For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.
Reflection: Culture Shock
God, help us to remember that customs and rituals can sometimes get in the way of the community Jesus desired, and that one of the most important things is to worship authentically, and let others do the same. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war, as well as the many landscapes that are currently embroiled in conflicts.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~29,000 gun violence deaths that happened in the US since the start of the year.
- For those suffering from the recent wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods.
- For those saddened and outraged by the recent murders of three black people by a white supremacist in Jacksonville, Florida, and relief from these times of turmoil.
- For the friends and family of The Rev. Stoddard (Todd) Blake Williams who passed away on August 10, 2023. Rev. Stoddard served churches in East Haddam CT, Danbury CT, and Unionville CT where he held the honor of Pastor Emeritus at Unionville Congregational Church upon retirement after 28 years of service. In retirement, Todd served several churches in CT and on Cape Cod as an Interim Pastor.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For the UCC's leadership in the environmental justice movement.
- For the positive impact donor giving has on people’s lives and their communities.
- For all ways to worship.
This Week in History:
September 4, 1957 (66 years ago): Arkansas troops block “Little Rock Nine” from entering segregated high school. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”