Rev. Jocelyn B. Gardner Spencer serves as an organizer with the Greater Hartford Interfaith Action Alliance and the Center for Leadership and Justice in Hartford, CT.
Scripture: Matthew 13:31-33, 44-48 (NRSV)
He put before them another parable: “The kin-dom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.”
He told them another parable: “The kin-dom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was leavened.” […]
“The kin-dom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
“Again, the kin-dom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.”
“Again, the kin-dom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea and caught fish of every kind; when it was full, they drew it ashore, sat down, and put the good into baskets but threw out the bad.”
Reflection: Invasive Species
Holy One, grow where you will—with us, without us, or even in spite of us. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at email@example.com.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war, as well as the many landscapes that are currently embroiled in conflicts.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~23,900 gun violence deaths that happened in the US since the start of the year.
- For the climate crisis, and for those who are suffering from the severe storms bringing tornadoes and flooding to the local areas.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For the 99 SNEUCC Delegates who attended the 34th General Synod, and continue to share their experiences.
- For the new Hospitality Manager for the Edwards House and Irons Homestead retreat centers.
- For the joy of summer camp -- for children and adults.
- For gardens and gardeners.
This Week in History:
July 26, 1990 (33 years ago): The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the most sweeping affirmation of rights for the disabled in American history at the time, was signed into law. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”
The Rev. Jocelyn Gardner Spencer serves as an organizer with the Greater Hartford Interfaith Action Alliance and the Center for Leadership and Justice in Hartford, CT. She formerly served as President of the Southern New England Conference and the ...