The Reverend Kathleen O’Toole Peters is a retired UCC clergywoman who divides her time between CT and Florida, is a grateful and joyful member of the First Congregational Church in Southington, Connecticut and an associate member of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Wildwood, Florida. In retirement she clowns around as her clown persona SweetCakes, volunteers as a chaplain and fundraiser for a local soup kitchen and pantry, and travels to be Nana to her granddaughter in California!
Scripture: Micah 6:6-9 (NRSVUV)
6 “With what shall I come before the LORD
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good,
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice and to love kindness
and to walk humbly with your God?
Reflection: Delivering What God Asks is Not Always Easy
Holy One, no matter our age we know you call us to the hard work of being your just and loving people. Grant that we might not be wusses but full, humble and astonished participants in your world, this world that you love so much. Even as we are not “half-perfect” in our attempts, grant us courage and the hope that with you all things are possible. Let us do our best and then humbly leave the rest to you! Amen
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the over ~2,600 gun violence deaths that happened in the US since the start of the new year, including the Lunar New Year mass shooting killing 10 people and wounding 10 others in California this past weekend.
- For the family and friends of Ruth Turner Tyrol, a member over the years of the South Glastonbury Congregational Church, the Sharon UCC Church, and The Salisbury Congregational Church UCC. Ruth and her late husband, Alden, were beloved directors of the Silver Lake Conference Center in Sharon, CT, for thirty-one years, and Ruth was the inaugural recipient of the Silver Lake Award.
- To be open to all that we are and all that we can do.
- For January's month of prayer recipients.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For the new permanent Director of Philanthropy of the SNEUCC
- For long-time global partnerships
This Week in History:
January 27, 1945 (78 years ago): Soviet troops enter Auschwitz, Poland, freeing the survivors of the network of concentration camps — and finally revealing to the world the depth of the horrors perpetrated there. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”