Scripture: Isaiah 11:1 (NRSV)
A shoot shall come out from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
Reflection: Tree Stumps of Hope
God of life - - - We pray this season for eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to feel your presence in the world. When life feels undone and hopeless, grant us the ability to see beyond what we expect into what is. Press us to seek signs of you. As we begin to notice your work, may we begin to join you in your efforts. May we always remember that you are working in ways that we are yet to fully understand. AMEN
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~39,700 gun violence deaths in the US this year - including last week's tragedies where a gunman killed five people and injured at least 25 others at an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado; and another shooting where 6 people were killed and others injured at a Walmart in Virginia. With these events, the US has recorded more than 600 mass shootings so far this year.
- For the environment and the changing climate
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For seed and soil, rain, trees, and stumps
- For environmental justice ministries
This Week in History:
December 1, 1955 (67 years ago): Rosa Parks is jailed for refusing to give up her seat on a public bus to a white man, a violation of the city’s racial segregation laws. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”
Dawn Adams is a member of the Immigration, Refugee and Asylum Task Team, and pastor of First Congregational Church of Brimfield, UCC (MA).