Rev. Maxwell Grant is the Senior Minister of Second Congregational Church of Greenwich, Connecticut, and serves on the board of the Congregational Library and Archive in Boston.
Scripture: Psalm 137:3 (NRSV)
"For there our captors
asked us for songs,
and our tormentors asked for mirth, saying,
‘Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"
Reflection: Bringing Tears to God
Source of grace and truth, teach us to keep watch and to know you especially in the moments when life gets real, remembering that the deepest truth about Creation is the reality of your love. Amen.
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~32,400 gun violence deaths in the US this year.
- For those facing hurricane season, including folks living in the parts of Puerto Rico that were battered by Hurricane Fiona.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For those who step up and protect those who may be different than us
- For Pride celebrations and festivals
- For those who help dry others' tears
This Week in History:
September 25, 1957 (65 years ago): Under escort from the U.S. Army, nine Black students entered all-white Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, to begin their first full day of classes while local officials and crowds tried to block integration of the school. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”