Shawn (he/him/his) is a husband to his wife Linda of 25 years, a father to his 22-year-old son Garrett and the Pastor and Teacher at Bloomfield Congregational Church in Bloomfield, CT. After four years as a Designated Pastor, he was recently voted to become the Settled Pastor. You are invited to the installation on September 18th at 3pm and the after-party at his home, which he promises will be a good one. RSVP to the Church Office at (860) 242-0776
Scripture: Isaiah 58:9a (NRSV)
9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
you shall cry for help, and he will say, Here I am.
Reflection: What Happened Before the Then?
God of, “Here I am” – thank You for being here. Thank You for being here when I am at my best and when I am at my worst. Thank You for being here to encourage me to focus less on me and more on the connection among all of us. Thank You for being here so that I have the confidence to say, “here I am.” Amen
New Prayer Requests:
We ask churches and church leaders to join us in the following prayers either by sharing them during worship, printing them in bulletins, or sharing them in some other way. To make a prayer request, please contact Marlene Gasdia-Cochrane at email@example.com.
Prayers of Intercession:
- For the family and friends of The Rev. Vardell D. Swett, who died Sunday, July 24, 2022. After serving for many years in New York, Swett was called to pastor the Terryville Congregational Church in Terryville, CT where he served for 23 years. Upon retirement he served as a prison chaplain and as part-time pastor in Hope Mills, NC.
- For the people of Ukraine whose lives continue to be shattered by war.
- For those grieving or suffering due to the ~27,100 gun violence deaths in the US this year.
- For those who served in the military and are experiencing health concerns due to toxic water and fires, as well as those suffering from other physical and psychological issues.
Prayers of Joy and Thanksgiving:
- For those who focus on others instead of self
- For sabbaticals that allow folks to rest, get refreshed, and be re-energized
This Week in History:
August 20, 1619 (403 years ago): First enslaved Africans arrive in Jamestown, setting the stage for slavery in North America. [History]
“Study the past if you would define the future.”
The Rev. Shawn Fisher is Senior Pastor at First Congregational Church of Bloomfield, CT.