Nahant Village Church Seeks Supply Pastor
Start Date: May 23, 2021
Duration: an extended period of time – six to nine months or longer (until a Settled Minister is hired)
The Nahant Village Church is seeking a supply pastor who will serve our Church for an extended period. We hired an Interim Minister at the beginning of the year who is unable to conduct weekly in-person worship services due to a commitment to another church. Up until now, the weekly services have been pre-recorded during the week and broadcast via Zoom and YouTube on Sunday morning. This arrangement is no longer workable because the Church recently decided that it is now safe to re-open our doors to in-person worship, provided that approved COVID protocols are followed. Our Interim Minister will continue to work with our Church on interim issues and in the preparation of our profile for a settled minister. Our need is for a Supply Pastor for in-person Sunday worship services. (For the foreseeable future, there will be no social hour following the worship service.)
The ideal candidate will be friendly and dynamic and interested in continuing our mutual ministry to members and friends of our Church. We are looking for someone who can help us apply and share our faith with others.
This position calls for:
- Weekly in-person worship service on Sunday morning. On average this will be three Sundays per month – since one Sunday is designated as a laity service. Lay participation in all worship services is encouraged such as announcements, scripture readings, etc.
- Weather permitting, these worship services will be held outdoors in one of several locations in Nahant to be selected by the Diaconate.
- The worship services will be recorded live and subsequently broadcast via YouTube and Facebook for parishioners who are unable to attend in-person.
- Once a month (typically the first Sunday of the month) is a Communion Service. Prepackaged communion sets will be used until pandemic restrictions are lifted.
- Collaboration with our Director of Music and Deacons relative to service format, hymn selection, etc.
- Submission of worship bulletin information to the Church AA no later than COB on Wednesdays.
- Collaboration with the Interim Minister to ensure that consistent messages are brought to our Congregation and that both ministers are on the same page. We anticipate that this will require not more than one hour or less per week.
- Conduct baptisms, weddings, funerals and memorial services that the Interim Minister is unable to perform.
As noted above, strict COVID protocols will be followed, including the wearing of masks, social distancing and contact tracing. Our protocols for re-openings have been approved by the Nahant Health Officer.
- Ordained minister with work experience in a small church
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to convey the words and teachings of Jesus as it relates to today and everyday lives
- Ability to encourage lay participation in worship
- Ability to connect with a Congregation that is varied in age and background.
- Flexibility in terms of worship service location (i.e. outdoor versus in the church)
- This is an unbenefited position and as a result does not include health insurance or housing. Worker’s Compensation Coverage is provided.
- $350 to $500 per worship services (including coordination with Interim Minister, Music Director, Diaconate and Administrative Assistant) depending on experience.
- Separate fees are payable for weddings, funerals or memorial services. (Baptisms usually occur during Sunday worship services)
The Nahant Village Church is located in Nahant, MA – a small community of about 3,500 residents, north of Boston. Our town is set apart from nearby communities by water and is connected only by a 1.5-mile causeway. The town’s population is predominantly white. Our Congregation is an aging population, as is our Town with over half of its residents over 55. Pre pandemic, attendance at Sunday worship averaged from 30 to 35 individuals. We have very few families with young children in our Congregation. Members of our congregation come from a variety of faith backgrounds – protestant, catholic, atheist, and so on.
Our Mission is to Reach Up, Reach Out, Reach In – reach up to God, reach out to our neighbors, and reach in with prayer. We are an Open and Affirming Church.
Check us out at our website: www.nahantvillagechurch.org
Questions may be addressed to: Jen McCarthy, Chair of the NVC Leadership Team at email@example.com or 781-316-7309
Location: Nahant Village Church
Contact: Jen McCarthy
Address: 27 Cliff Street Nahant MA 01908
Attached file(s): view file