Central Congregational Church seeks a Sunday School Coordinator for its Christian Education program. Responsibilities include support and supervision for Sunday morning Christian Education led by volunteer teachers and a monthly dinner ministry for families with children. Theological education is helpful but not required; teaching experience (in the classroom or other settings) is a strong plus. Reports to the pastor and Christian Education Committee.
- An understanding of Christian beliefs and practices within the traditions of mainline Protestantism and/or progressive Christianity
- Teaching experience and an understanding of the support needs of volunteer teachers
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking, writing and social media
- Excellent administrative skills including record keeping, volunteer recruitment and training and event planning
- A passion for accompanying children and youth on their faith journey
- Recruiting, training, supporting, and supervising volunteer Sunday school teachers, including curriculum review and lesson planning support
- Planning monthly dinner church meeting for Sunday school families, in conjunction with the pastor
- Planning special events involving children, youth and families of the church including Rally Day, Cocoa and Caroling, Christmas Pageant and Communion Class
- Engaging children and youth in outreach ministries of the church and other service activities
- Informing parents and the congregation of Sunday school activities
- Participation in the Christian Education Committee and Church Council meetings
Maturity, discretion, flexibility, a commitment to the ministry of the church and a sense of humor are requirements for all staff. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently and collaboratively. Sunday morning is a required work day and work on religious holidays is expected.
The position is 12-15 hours per week from mid-August to early June and is compensated at an hourly rate of $25.00-35.00, depending upon experience.
This Christian Education position will be hired for a two-year term while Central Congregational Church evaluates and redesigns its Christian Education work. Christian Education staff will be actively involved in the evaluation and design process.
Location: Central Congregational Church, Newburyport MA
Contact: Laura Mack
Address: PO Box 372 14 Titcomb Street Newburyport MA 01950