Work schedule: Approximately 25 hours per week on average (Sundays from 7:45 AM to noon; others hours as needed)
Salary: $21 - $25/hour; non-exempt.
The Sexton coordinates the maintenance needs of the church and parsonage. In addition, the sexton prepares the building for Sunday worship and other events, and manages the cleaning needs of the church on a daily/weekly basis.
- Prepares building for Sunday worship, including opening and closing the church building, monitoring heat and air conditioning, ensuring safe access to the building for all weather conditions.
- Cleans and maintains all internal spaces of the church according to the schedule and guidelines provided by the Director of Administration and/or the Buildings & Grounds Committee.
- Sets up for meetings and events and cleans up afterward.
- Liaises and coordinates with outside contractors.
- Performs repairs, painting, etc. in coordination with the Board of Buildings and Grounds.
- Manages problems related to maintenance, equipment or building security. Reports any unresolved problems to supervisor.
- Maintain the overall security of the church property.
- Other related tasks as assigned.
- Experience in custodial, janitorial, or related work .
- Must be able to follow directions, work independently, lift up to 50 lbs. and climb a ladder.
- Must be available to work Sunday mornings. Other hours worked can be flexible so long as the needs of the church and its building users are met.
- Additional hours will be available from time to time. Potential exists for need to respond to occasional odd hour emergencies.
- Driver’s license with clean driving record and access to a vehicle.
- Certification and/or experience in licensed trades such as construction, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, electrician or similar trade is highly desirable.
- Be sympathetic to this church’s progressive values and ethical mission.
Location: First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury
Contact: Christina Manos
Address: 19 Church Road Shrewsbury MA 01545