The Sexton assists the Facilities Manager in taking care of the overall condition and appearance of the church building and grounds. Key responsibilities include cleaning and janitorial duties; minor maintenance and repair projects; yard work; event setup and cleanup; and providing building security. This position is essential to the building in that it provides a clean and safe environment to promote the mission of the church.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Ensuring the safety and security of the building, including but not limited to doing regular security sweeps of the building and ensuring that doors and windows are properly locked and secured.
- Cleaning and maintaining the building, including but not limited to sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning and stocking bathrooms, dusting, collecting trash and recycling, taking out the trash and recycling bins for pickup.
- Actively monitoring building conditions to identify maintenance and repair needs and communicating them to the Facilities Manager.
- Conducting minor repairs, as needed.
- Maintaining the grounds around the church including but not limited to, mowing grass, trimming bushes, raking leaves, cleaning gutters, shoveling, salting walkways, and clearing the grounds of trash and debris.
- Managing the heating system for efficient operation.
- Managing the setup and breakdown for church and building user events including, but not limited to, moving furniture, setting up tables and chairs, working with the sound system and projector, assisting church members with Coffee Hour on Sunday mornings, keeping an inventory of supplies needed for worship services and events with food and refreshments.
- Maintaining and organizing the supply closets, tool sheds, storage rooms and workshop.
- Conducting other building-related functions as requested by the Facilities Manager.
- Maintaining the overall condition and appearance of buildings and grounds.
- Cleaning, and providing maintenance and repairs.
- Security and emergency protocol.
- Managing setup and breakdown for various events.
- Maintaining grounds - mowing grass, removing weeds, trimming bushes, raking leaves, cleaning gutters, snow and ice removal, and salting walkways.
- Using the tools needed for minor repairs.
- Painting interior and exterior surfaces.
- Using ladders, including long extension ladders for periodic maintenance on the roof and gutters, changing lightbulbs in high-ceiling rooms, and painting high surfaces.
- Follow directions and work independently.
- Work collaboratively and communicate with staff, building users, volunteers and congregation members.
- Follow through and complete assigned duties and tasks in a timely manner.
- Be well organized, professional and courteous.
- Lift at least 50 pounds.
- Maintain the safety and security of the building.
- Respond appropriately to emergency situations.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Training will be provided. Previous experience as a janitor, custodian, landscaper, groundskeeper, security guard, and/or maintenance or repair worker a plus.
- Experience in working well independently and collaboratively with others.
Work is performed on the interior and exterior of the church building, and on the church grounds. Occasional climbing of ladders. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling of tables, chairs, equipment, and other items and boxes weighing over 50 pounds.
- Reports to the Facilities Manager
- Serves as an active member of the church staff
- Confers regularly with church staff, building users, volunteers, and congregation members
JOB TYPE: Non-exempt, Part-time, Permanent Position
WORK HOURS: up to 25 hours/week, including evenings and weekends
SUPERVISOR: Facilities Manager
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume to email@example.com. A successful candidate must submit to a CORI background check.
Location: United Parish in Brookline
Contact: Sarah Fitzpatrick
Address: 210 Harvard Street Brookline MA 02446