The Retreat and Finance Manager – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center is responsible for managing a time of renewal, relaxing, and an escape from everyday life while working with groups of all ages to book on-site retreats. This includes business development of year-round reservations, hospitality, and operations of the retreat activity. The Retreat and Finance Manager – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center is responsible for the financial operations at Silver Lake including, but not limited to, managing and tracking the annual budget, cost analysis of revenue streams, events, and operational costs.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of retreats at Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center. This includes, but is not limited to, marketing, recruiting, scheduling, hosting, and billing retreat group reservations and special events, when applicable.
- Manages and tracks the full operational budget of Silver Lake, in collaboration with the Director – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center and Southern New England Conference, UCC Finance staff.
- Demonstrates willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and summer months.
- Responsible for the scheduling of site use, in collaboration and communication with the Director – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center and other year-round staff team members.
- Acquires all needed retreat group information for the on-site staff to provide a welcoming experience at Silver Lake. Information is updated continuously and shared weekly with staff in preparation for groups.
- Provides hospitality and interfaces with retreat groups during their retreat.
- Works with Program Director (and Director and/or Ropes Lead Scheduler, when applicable) to assure adequate and consistent excellent low and high ropes facilitation and staffing.
- Conducts evaluative follow-up with all retreat groups to obtain feedback on their time and experience at Silver Lake, utilizing information gained to strengthen the program and improve the participants’ experience, and sharing with the appropriate Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center staff members, as needed.
- Develops strategies and marketing plans to attract new retreat groups, resulting in growth of participants served, and increase of income generated.
- Schedules and attends recruiting/marketing/promotional events to promote the retreat business and ministry goals of Silver Lake, as needed.
- Reviews and summarizes reports and documents, budgets, financial forecasts, trends, and prepares monthly cost analysis compared to current budget, as needed.
- In collaboration with the Director and Site Manager, seeks, negotiates, and implements operational cost-saving initiatives with vendors, services, utilities, etc.
- In collaboration with the Conference finance staff, makes deposits and submits bill payments regularly and prepares the back-up documents needed, including payroll documentation.
- Assists the Director – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center in the long-range financial planning process, pipelining or forecasting preparation, as well as the development and implementation of new business streams, grant proposals, etc.
- Maintains, expands, and tracks Camp Store operations, retreat operations, and office operations, with special attention to financial record-keeping, organization, and generating reports as needed.
- Organizes broader fundraising initiatives and special fundraising events, in collaboration with the Director, Silver Lake Administrator and Conference Development Team.
- Supports and assists Administrator in annual appeal and additional development efforts, as needed.
- Supports Silver Lake Administrator in overseeing application review and distribution of funds for summer camp scholarships.
Additional Summer Camp Duties
- Serve as a Director-on-Duty during the Summer Camp season and during retreats, as needed.
- Assists in managing medical emergencies, including making hospital runs, as needed.
- In collaboration with the Administrator and Registrar, oversees and is responsible for the effective running of the Camp Store, including tracking payments and charges; supervising the Store Manager and training them to train and manage all workers; ensuring effective and efficient inventory management and product presentation.
- Handles and processes insurance and Worker’s Compensation claims.
- Keeps website updated in coordination with Administrator.
- Creates emails and social media communication about retreat opportunities and fundraising events in coordination with Administrator.
- Shares office administration and reporting duties as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- As part of your job duties, you will be required at least once a month to be present (online or in-person when Conference protocols allow) during the gathering time of a worship service of one of the SNEUCC churches.
- You will bring greetings from the SNEUCC Conference; providing an introduction, as it relates to your role.
- This may include being invited to share words during coffee/social hour or announcements; a script is provided by the Development team that you can draw upon to compose a short paragraph (2-3 sentences) letting the congregation know that you are present, and to highlight your program area, its offering, and connect it to proportional giving.
Southern New England Conference-Sponsored Events
- The Retreat and Finance Manager – Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center will be required to participate in Conference-Sponsored events throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in oversight of the payroll process preferred.
- Previous experience with budgeting required.
- Strong problem solving and written and oral communication skills.
- High degree of self-initiative, and ability to function with minimal direction.
- Prioritizes and handles multiple projects simultaneously and follows through on issues in a timely manner.
Data Utilization - Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data, and/or information. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
Human Interaction - Requires the ability to apply principles of persuasion and/or influence.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization - Requires the ability to use computer hardware and software and database systems in regular performance of job duties.
Verbal Aptitude - Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude - Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may require ability to utilize principles of fractions and/or interpret graphs.
Functional Reasoning - Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as: motivation, incentive, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Situational Reasoning - Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness, and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
Physical Ability - Tasks involve the ability to travel to meetings outside office, exert moderate physical effort, and may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials up to 20 pounds. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation and/or repetitive motion.
Sensory Requirements - Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Requires oral communications ability.
Environmental Factors - Tasks are occasionally performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, or pathogenic substances.
Location: Southern New England Conference United Church of Christ
Contact: Irma Reyes
Address: 125 Sherman Street Hartford CT 06105
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): Retreat and Finance Manager - Silver Lake Camp and Retreat Center