Church of Christ, Congregational
United Church of Christ
142 Exchange Street
Millis, MA 02054
website: www.millisucc.org email: email@example.com facebook: Millis UCC
The Church of Christ, Congregational, United Church of Christ, (MillisUCC), is an open and affirming congregation in Millis Massachusetts. MillisUCC is a small family friendly church seeking an enthusiastic Music Director who shall serve as organist/pianist and choir director. This part time position offers the opportunity to be creative and innovative to revitalize our music program starting in the Fall of 2022.
Our one of a kind organ was assembled in 1966-1967 during the sanctuary renovation by Nelson Barden, utilizing parts of at least 3 different organs, including the existing Holbrook organ. The result is a two manual organ with a total of 1,112 pipes: 585 pipes in the Great Division, 415 in the Swell Division and 112 in the Pedal Division. Our piano is a Baldwin - Howard Baby Grand.
MUSIC DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION:
REPORTS TO: The Diaconate. Collaborates with the Pastor, Worship Team and Administrative Assistant.
STATUS and SALARY: Part-Time Non-exempt, 10 hours per week /10,000- $12,000 yearly, commensurate with experience. Unpaid sick leave per Commonwealth of Massachusetts law.
The purpose of the Music Director position is to facilitate the worship of God through music. The Music Director does this by directing, overseeing, and coordinating the musical elements of all services. The position requires the ability to plan and select music to enhance and enrich worship; lead the choir and congregation in choral works; and play and provide accompaniment with piano and organ. Duties are primarily on Sunday mornings, however also include rehearsals and additional services during the year, including but not limited to Ash Wednesday, Holy Week and Christmas Eve.
1. In coordination with the pastor, plan music for all worship services, including preludes, offertory music, postlude, and any special music. The Pastor will be primarily responsible for selecting hymns in collaboration with the Music Director.
2. Provide the music for Sunday morning worship, other worship services, and any special music events approved by the pastor. This includes directing the volunteer choir, encouraging and leading the congregation in their participation in the musical elements of worship, and providing accompaniment with piano or organ.
3. Coordinate and lead practice sessions for choir members and arrange these sessions at a time that is satisfactory with the majority of participants.
4. Communicate with and provide music to all volunteer musicians, providing them ample time to prepare and learn the pieces.
5. Plan and recommend a budget for music ministry needs in coordination with the deacons.
6. Coordinate the maintenance, tuning, and repair of the organ and piano, by entrusting that work to qualified and trained professionals.
7. Purchase sheet music as needed and organize all sheet music with assistance of volunteer choir librarian.
8. Adhere to applicable copyright laws with regard to the use, duplication, distribution, and broadcast of music and lyrics. Maintain appropriate licensing per current rules.
9. Recruit participants of all ages in the music activities of the church and, as appropriate, encourage the development and use of their spiritual gifts and musical talents.
10. Arrange for substitutes for any scheduled absences and notify the Diaconate and Pastor.
11. Submit the information needed for weekly church bulletins in a timely manner and in coordination with the Administrative Assistant.
12. Availability to play for weddings and funerals/memorial services is desired, but not required.
13. Additional responsibilities as assigned.
The Music Director will be permitted to use the church building to perform and teach lessons using the instruments available, provided such does not interfere with other church activities or official business. All building use is subject to the Safe Church Policy in place at Millis UCC.
TO APPLY: We are only considering resume and cover letters submissions via email. All cover letters and up-to-date, accurate resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org/ attn: Music Director Search Committee. Optional: video sample or link of your playing.
Please name your documents as follows: RESUME-LAST NAME.PDF and COVER LETTER-LAST NAME.PDF.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Upon review of materials, selected candidates will be asked for a live audition.
Please visit www.millisucc.org to learn more about our church.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Millis Church of Christ is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
COVID-19 CONSIDERATIONS: All employees must be vaccinated. Church of Christ, Congregational, UCC follows all Massachusetts COVID protocols.
Location: United Church of Christ, Congregational, UCC
Contact: Wendy Schneider - Deacon
Address: 142 Exchange Street Millis MA 02054
Email: Click to email