Job Posting for Minister of Children and Families
First Congregational Church of Milton, MA (United Church of Christ)
Hours: Part time, based on 15 hrs/week over school year with minimal hours during summer.
Must work on Sundays and every other Wednesday evening.
Reports to: Pastor and works in close partnership with Board of Christian Education.
First Congregational Church, Milton, MA, is an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. We are seeking a Minister of Children and Families, who will lead our vibrant and vital Sunday school programs and our Wacky Wednesday fun night. The spiritual formation and community building of children lies at the heart of our mission and purpose as a congregation.
- Working with the oversight of the Board of Christian Education to plan, coordinate, organize, support, and lead programs for children from Nursery through 8th grade.
- Recruit, develop, and supervise Sunday school teachers (high school students). Supervise the adult nursery worker.
- Organize and coordinate annual Sunday school registration process, keep attendance, and maintain an accurate database using Fellowship One (training for F1 available on job).
- Prepare curriculum and provide oversight and support to ensure the curriculum is incorporated into weekly lessons.
- Facilitate and lead teacher trainings and meetings as needed to help teachers grow and improve.
- Organize and coordinate special events including: Christmas pageant, teacher appreciation, children's Sunday, Palm Sunday, and the Easter egg hunt.
- Communicate all Christian education activities, and correspond with parents and the congregation as appropriate using a variety of mediums, including: social media, email, posters, mailings, newsletter, etc.
- Attend Board of Christian Ed meetings.
- Stay abreast of current trends and best practices in Christian education, and share insights with the Board of Christian Education.
The ideal candidate is a spiritually mature person with excellent communication skills and a desire to engage in the life of the congregation to help strengthen and grow our programs for children and support families as they seek to grow in faith. We seek someone who is invested in fostering a loving, safe, and caring environment where children can build friendships, learn the stories and practices of our faith, come to trust in God’s love for them, and connect their faith to their life in the world.
The ideal candidate has:
· A bachelor's degree in a related field and related experience OR direct experience.
· A personal commitment to the Christian faith, and an ability to share that faith authentically in a way that encourages the faith of others.
· An understanding of and commitment to the church’s mission.
· Proficiency with basic computer programs and social media platforms.
· Strong administrative, communication, leadership, and motivational skills.
- Academic training in education or theology.
- General marketing and growth perspective that will assist with the continued growth and development of our educational programs.
- Experience working in a church either in a professional or voluntary position.
Other Pastoral Opportunities
For candidates who are ordained or seeking ordination, this position may offer opportunities for preaching, the administration of the sacraments, and providing pastoral support to the congregation as appropriate.
Financial compensation to be commensurate with qualifications. FCC of Milton is an open and affirming congregation and is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to:
Rev. R.G. Wilson-Lyons
First Congregational Church of Milton
495 Canton Avenue
Milton, MA 02186
Location: First Congregational Church of Milton
Contact: R.G. Wilson-Lyons
Address: 495 Canton Ave Milton MA 02461
Email: Click to email