Maple Street Congregational Church, UCC
90 Maple Street Danvers, MA 01923
Assistant Director of Music Ministry
Maple Street Congregational Church of Danvers, Massachusetts is seeking a part-time pianist of strong musical competency, skills, and training, organ training is also desirable, to serve as the Assistant Director of Music Ministry. A qualified candidate will bring experience playing a wide variety of musical styles, is a team player, and enjoys working with others. The position is 10-15 hours a week to begin this fall of 2022.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- playing for Sunday morning worship (one 1-hour service), which includes all service music and accompanying choir introits, anthems and responses
- playing for weekly (currently Thursday evening) rehearsals of adult choir, 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- playing for rehearsal of children’s choir following Sunday worship, as scheduled
- playing for Christmas Eve services, Maundy Thursday service, and any other services that may be scheduled during the year
- communicating regularly with the Director of Music Ministry
- submitting selections for prelude and postlude to the church office for inclusion in the Sunday worship bulletin each week
- directing the Chancel Choir for rehearsal and/or worship when the Director of Music Ministry is away
- Availability to play for weddings and funeral/memorial services is desired but not required; these are paid independently by families or contracted funeral home
SUNDAY SERVICE MUSIC INCLUDES:
- preludes/postludes chosen by the pianist/organist which span a wide variety of music, from hymns and classical pieces to spirituals, gospel arrangements, jazz, etc.
- sung responses to the Lord’s Prayer; a doxology following the offering; music during the serving of communion (once a month)
- all hymns
- congregational song for baptism, children’s or worship moments that may be planned for a particular Sunday service
MAPLE STREET CHURCH CHOIRS:
Our adult Chancel Choir numbers 14 to 20 dedicated singers. Anthems frequently are contemporary choral pieces by such composers as Joel Raney, Mark Hayes, David Angerman, John Purifoy, John Rutter — whose accompaniments often require a higher level of piano proficiency and musical styling. The choir also sings traditional church music, anthems based on hymn tunes, spirituals, gospel, and classical selections. A children’s choir and intergenerational choir participate in worship as scheduled through the year and require accompaniment for worship.
- The Noack sanctuary organ is in good condition, built and installed in the early 1970’s, with 3 manuals and 40 stops.
- A small chapel organ, specifically designed and built for that space in the 1990’s by organ-builder Jeremy Adams.
- A high-quality Kawai baby grand piano in the sanctuary
- A Steinway baby grand piano (c. 1915) in the rehearsal room
- A console piano in the chapel
- A baby grand piano in the social hall
- An electric keyboard for outdoor services
- A four-octave set of handbells. (The assistant director of music has coordinated and directed a handbell choir that has participated in worship a few times each year.)
POSITION’S SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits are based on education and experience and the pay range is $21-24 hourly. The Asst. Director of Music Ministry has the added benefit of using the building to perform and teach lessons using the instruments available, provided such use does not interfere with other church activities. All building use is subject to the Safe Church Policy in place at Maple Street Church.
How to Apply:
Email or mail your resume and letter of interest to:
Kathy Gross, Director of Music Ministry
Maple Street Congregational Church
90 Maple Street
Danvers, MA 01923
Applicant links to recordings welcome, but not required.
Auditions/Interviews will begin May 2022.
Maple Street Congregational Church, UCC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Maple Street Congregational Church
Contact: Kathy Gross
Address: 90 Maple Street Danvers MA 01923
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): view file