FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF HARWICH, MA
Administrative Assistant Job Description
Job type: Part-time, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Compensation: 25 hours per week @ $25.00/hr.; 10 days vacation, 5 days sick leave annually, and 12 paid holidays.
Reports to: Pastor
The Administrative Assistant is a vital contributor to the First Congregational Church of Harwich by providing administrative support across all functions of the church and assisting the Pastor, Cabinet, Boards, Trustees, and Teams, staff, and church members as well as serving as a liaison for the church to the community-at-large. This position requires a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism.
Specific activities include but are not limited to:
• Prepare weekly Sunday worship bulletins.
• Maintain church membership records using Power Church.
• Update and publish Church Directory.
• Maintain church calendars – desk and website.
• Assist in the updating of the Memorial Garden Registry.
• Update and publish Annual Report and Bylaws.
• Update website.
• Manage and maintain all church office records, files and databases.
• Manage and update church telephone answering system message as needed.
• Update bulletin boards in church office and Parish house.
• Keep record of visitors who attend church services and send letter of welcome.
• Assist church clerk in January with updates to the UCC Data Hub and Dashboard.
• Respond to facility rental requests and refer to Pastor or Trustee. Manage rental
agreements, track deposits and fees.
• Maintain record of Board, Cabinet and Team reports.
• Serve as liaison for inquiries regarding wedding services and funeral, memorial, committal,
• Provide support to Cabinet, Board members, Trustees, Team members and church members
• Prepare new member packets.
• Prepare membership, baptismal, marriage, etc. certificates.
• Serve as in-person and telephone receptionist. Route incoming calls, take messages, check
answering system messages.
• Receive and distribute US mail accordingly.
• Create and print address labels as requested through Power Church.
• Maintain church service attendance list.
• Manage church email, forwarding emails to appropriate person(s) and responding to emails
directed to Administrative Assistant/church office.
• Distribute The Upper Room magazine to homebound members via US mail, place copies
in church office and bring to the Sanctuary.
• Additional duties as negotiated.
• Design, prepare, produce, and publish newsletters through Mail Chimp, and US mail to
• Design/create church ads, brochures, flyers, posters, sign-up sheets, etc.
• Print or cut out relevant newspaper or online articles about the church, its members, weddings,
obituaries, and share with the Pastor and church historian.
• Send out “Joy in your new home” postcard to new homeowners in Harwich, Chatham and
Brewster retrieving information from the Cape Cod Chronicle, Cape Cod Times, etc.
• Assist with ordering and printing of materials for marketing.
Finance and Operations
• Receive and distribute incoming bills/invoices to appropriate person(s).
• Maintain church office petty cash fund.
• Send notification and Thank You letters for memorial gifts and maintain record of letters.
• Maintain office areas and assure they are in proper working order.
• Maintain office equipment and arrange for repairs as needed.
• Maintain office supply inventory. Order supplies when needed.
• Assist outside vendors.
• Help coordinate scheduling of maintenance and repairs with Trustee liaison.
• Keep record of certificate for property, equipment and rentals.
• Manage and keep safe church keys – make copies, distribute and retrieval; keeping record of
• Maintain record of all church passwords.
• High School diploma required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• 2-4 years of Administrative Assistant experience preferred.
• High level of proficiency in MS Office Suite – Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook.
• Knowledge – or willingness to learn – church software.
• Ability to be supervised by the Pastor; adhere to office policies; work both independently
and collaboratively while juggling multiple tasks and priorities; be versatile, flexible and willing
to adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals – in-person, over the
phone and in writing.
• Warm, enthusiastic and welcoming to members and guests as expected in a Christian
• Ability to work well with others – including the Pastor, members of the staff, Cabinet, Boards,
Trustees, Teams, congregation, guests and volunteers.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills; accuracy and attention to detail.
• Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Maintains strict confidentiality.
• Vaccinated and up-to-date on booster shots for Covid-19. Agree to office wellness policy.
Contact: Rev. Susan Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: First Congregational Church of Harwich, MA
Contact: Susan Thomas
Address: 697 Main Street Harwich MA 02645
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): Job Description