Ministries to children, youth, and families are at the heart of our mission at the United Congregational Church of Little Compton. Our church has created this full-time position with generous compensation and benefits because we believe in this mission.
We are seeking someone who connects easily with kids and youth, is highly organized and adaptive, and who can work effectively on a team. They must be able to create and implement programs and activities that will engage our youngest members and help them grow in their faith and its lived expression in the world. They must be able to embody the warm welcome and inclusivity that is central to our mission and be able to authentically share their faith in a way that encourages the faith of others. Here is the Position Description:
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Children and Youth Ministries Committee (CYM) to create and implement Sunday morning children’s programs
- Together with the CYM Committee, create and oversee a calendar of events
- Plan hands-on service opportunities in concert with the Outreach Committee (OC)
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers
- Oversee communications to families and maintain up-to-date information on our website
- Coordinate baptisms and other family milestones with the Senior Minister
- Annually plan a week-long youth Service Trip in conjunction with lay leaders
- Every other year, work with the Senior Minister to help run the Confirmation Program.
- Establish and maintain a family database
- Recruit children and youth to share their gifts in worship
- Welcome and create positive and inviting space for newcomers
- Prioritize retention of families, youth, and young adults,
- Create programs that give people a ‘next step’ once they are through Church doors
- Focus on effective communication strategies and promotion of all events using a variety of mediums, including social media, 1-1 outreach, phone calls, texts, posters, etc.
- Spiritually mature, with a commitment to the Christian faith, and an ability to share that faith authentically in a way that encourages the faith of others.
- Warmth, energy, and creativity to support growth of children and youth ministries.
- Communication skills, people skills, organizational skills, sufficient to plan, promote, and coordinate delivery of events, programs and activities.
- Desire to engage in the life of the congregation, and to help strengthen and grow our programs of faith formation and outreach for children, youth, and families.
- Adaptable and creative in supporting families and church as we navigate change. Committed to staying current with new pathways for faith formation: attending seminars or training events, researching and reading, and networking with other educators.
Important traits and attributes
- An understanding of and commitment to the church’s mission,
- Able to maintain confidentiality and reporting conflicts to the pastor and/or the applicable board or committee chair.
- Able to follow safe church policies in all dealings with youth and children.
- Able to plan, promote, and carry out events, programs and activities.
Location: United Congregational Church of Little Compton
Contact: Rebecca Floyd Marshall
Address: PO 506 Little Compton RI 02837
Email: Click to email