Mission & Goals: Provide pastoral care, support, and community for the youth and young adults of Central Congregational Church. Offer opportunities for faith formation, spiritual growth, and Christian fellowship. Create an environment that nurtures spiritual transformation and encourages young people to authentically engage their faith, ask questions, grow, and be challenged.
Non-ordained and Ordained Job Opportunity
Director for Youth and Young Adult Ministries (20 hrs/week) or
Associate Minister for Youth and Young Adult Ministries (20 hrs/week)
Mission & Goals
- Provide pastoral care, support, and community for the youth and young adults of Central Congregational Church.
- Offer opportunities for faith formation, spiritual growth, and Christian fellowship.
- Create an environment that nurtures spiritual transformation and encourages young people to authentically engage their faith, ask questions, grow, and be challenged.
- Lead and teach Confirmation class for 9th and 10th grade students: Confirmation at Central operates on a two-year model. In the first year of Confirmation, confirmands will build a foundation of knowledge in the areas of Christian theology, the Bible, and the Church. In the second year of Confirmation, confirmands will meet for 20 sessions and explore issues of faith, social issues, and community. The Director will oversee the Confirmation curriculum, lead an annual retreat, and organize worship on Confirmation Sunday.
- Youth Group: organize and collaborate with volunteers events throughout the year that lead to enhanced friendships, faith understanding and service opportunities for our jr. and sr. high students.
- Church School: the Youth and Youth Adult Minister works closely with the Director of Religious Education to support the Church School as well as teach the junior high class.
- Pastoral care to the youth and young adults of the church.
- Spiritual and Faith Formation: offers opportunities for community, spiritual and faith formation including monthly bible study and support of Religious Education special programs. The Director shall work with parents, adult leaders, and youth to offer relevant and accessible youth group programming.
- The Director shall collaborate with others to develop and sustain young adult fellowship programs to reach out to college-aged persons as well as late 20s and early 30s.
- Summer Mission Trip: the Director will work with the Religious Education Committee, as well as youth and adult leaders, to plan and supervise an annual summer mission trip for senior high school youth. Trips range anywhere from four to six days and are often planned for the end of June or early/mid-July. Essential components of mission trip planning include annual fundraising efforts to help supplement trip fees (i.e. Christmas wreaths, Easter breakfast).
- Liturgical/Sacramental Life of the Church: the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry shall support the Senior and Associate Pastors of Central Church in the liturgical and sacramental life of the church. This includes offering the weekly “Children’s Time” message during worship. S/he is also responsible for various worship services including Youth Mission Sunday in October, the Christmas Eve Family Service, Ecumenical Easter Sunrise Service, and Confirmation Sunday.
- Talent, passion and enthusiasm for working with youth and young adults
- Understanding and commitment to Christian faith
- Minimum bachelor or associate degree
- Graduate degree in counseling, pastoral care, theology (MDiv, MTS) preferred
- Flexible hours/schedule
- Skills/experience: teaching, active/empathic listening, counseling/pastoral care, collaboration, community building.
Contact: Jennifer Fallon
Address: 296 Angell Street Providence RI 02903