Position: Director of Faith Formation
Job Overview: The Congregational Church of East Hampton is a vibrant community of faith seeking a Director of Faith Formation to revitalize our Children and Youth Faith Formation programs. Our Director of Faith Formation provides overall leadership and guidance for a program that ministers to infants through 12th graders. They work with our pastor, members of the Christian Education Committee, and volunteers to nurture our church’s children and youth as they grow in faith.
Primary responsibilities are:
- Envisions and brings to life an engaging Sunday School program.
- Leads the Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship program, ensuring that it runs smoothly and follows Safe Church Guidelines.
- Partners with the Christian Education Committee to develop and maintain an age-appropriate curriculum.
- Helps the Christian Education Committee recruit Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship volunteers and equips them for their work by planning and leading a teacher orientation as well as periodic teacher meetings as needed throughout the year.
- Orders and distributes Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship resource materials, equipment, and general supplies as approved by the Board of Christian Education.
- Is present and prepared at 9:00 AM on Sunday mornings and at least one hour before a youth fellowship meeting to greet families and support teachers. And remains until all children have been dismissed to their parents/guardians. In addition to Sunday mornings and Youth Fellowship, Candidate must work at least weekday in the church office as well as attend monthly staff meeting.
- Ensures that all classrooms, the Christian Education Office, and the Christian Education Supply Room are in order both before and after Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship.
- Creates and maintains a registration system for students, which includes but is not limited to registration forms, photo release forms, and a list of allergies and health alerts, that is clearly communicated to all Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship volunteers. Maintains weekly attendance lists for each class and reaches out to families and students who may need further engagement.
- Creates a list of substitutes and arranges for coverage when Sunday School and youth fellowship volunteers are on vacation or ill. Arranges for coverage in his/her own absence, with approval from the Board of Christian Education.
- Maintains monthly communication with families and the congregation about all facets of the Sunday Faith Formation and youth fellowship programs. Which includes but is not limited to the Chatter Newsletter, Faith Formation Bulletin Board, and church website.
- Attends meetings of the Christian Education Committee and communicates monthly with the Chairperson to
submit approval for major expenditures for curriculum, equipment and supplies that will be charged to the Christian Education budget.
- Attends one ongoing education opportunity for Christian Educators per program year, paid for by Christian Education Committee.
- Works with the Christian Education Committee and in consultation with the Pastors, plans, schedules and leads special programs (e.g. commissioning of Sunday School teachers, kindergarten and fourth grade Bible Sunday, Children’s Sunday, Christmas pageant, Family Sundays, Easter Egg Hunt, etc.).
- Studies, evaluates, and presents new curriculum options to the Christian Education Committee for approval.
- Submits a report for the annual report.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Person of faith with a proven ability to relate with all ages and build trusted relationships.
- Have at least two years of post-secondary education and some formal training/credentials/certification in Faith Formation (or be willing to begin the SNEUCC Certification program within 12 months).
- Must have or obtain a background check and follow The Congregational Church of East Hampton’s Safe Conduct Policy.
Oversight: The Pastor and the Christian Education Committee
Hours of Employment: The position is 10-12 hours/week for 44 weeks (mid-August through mid-June).
Compensation: $8,000 to $10,000 annually based on experience.
Contact Please email resumes to Rev. Amie McCarthy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Congregational Church of East Hampton
Contact: Rev. Amie McCarthy
Address: 59 Main Street East Hamptin CT 06424
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): director of christian education.pdf