Pilgrim Church, Sherborn, MA, is an open and affirming congregation and a member of the Southern New England Conference of the United Church of Christ. The congregation has members and friends from Sherborn and a number of surrounding towns in the MetroWest Area.
Job description: Director of Christian Education
The Director of Christian Education will be a person grounded in values of the Christian faith; one who cares deeply about the moral and spiritual education of children and families, and is committed to strengthening their connection to God, the Church and its family related ministries. The Director will:
Rebuild CE Programs for Young Families
- Visit current families with young children during the summer to encourage Sunday School participation beginning in September. This should not take as much time in future years
- Annually create and execute a plan for reaching out to new families in Sherborn and surrounding communities
- Coordinate with partnering Dover Church staff on Middle School/Senior High School youth group.
- Meet/coordinate with Christian Education Committee as needed
- Respond to questions and suggestions from parents, and community members
- Look for ways to engage parents and families in community building programs.
Plan and coordinate weekly Sunday worship classes and activities (Sept. -June)
1. Provide overall leadership of CE classes and programs for K-5 children
2. Recruit teachers
3. Plan lessons, purchase supplies and compile teacher books
4. Prepare Sunday children's message
5. Be at church for service/Sunday School on Sunday mornings (2.5 hours)
6. Complete reorganization of the Children's Wing and keep it updated
7. Organize Sunday morning nursery coverage
8. Arrange for snacks
9. Work with volunteers to plan and run Christmas Tableau/Pageant
1. Attend staff meetings on Tuesday mornings (10-12)
2. Plan vacation bible school with Dover Church
3. Work with the Pastor to plan/staff annual community Christmas story/Easter egg hunt
4. Work with the Pastor as coordinator for 8th grade education classes: sexuality class in the fall and confirmation class in the winter and spring.
5. Purchase Bibles for K-3rd grade and confirmation
6. Additional tasks as may be identified.
Significant teaching experience with young children (in a church setting is a plus but not required) and/or work with families with young children.
Pay and benefits
15-20 hrs. per week for 44 weeks @ $30 per hour (up to $26,400). Benefits package of $5,000: to be used at discretion of employee (i.e. Health Savings Account, health insurance premium, pension, paid time off, etc.)
Potential additional responsibilities: Middle School Youth Group Director @5 hrs. per wk., $30 an hour, 44 weeks per year (for up to $6,600). Develop and lead a bi-weekly hands-on program for middle school students at Pilgrim Church and partnering Dover Church. Meetings held at Pilgrim Church.
Contact for both positions: Kate Potter, email@example.com
Location: Pilgrim Church UCC
Contact: Pastor John Hudson
Address: 25 South Main Street Sherborn MA 01770
Email: Click to email