West Parish Church of Andover, MA is a theologically progressive, open and affirming, Protestant church, where ALL are welcome to learn, grow, seek and build a better world. We are searching for an enthusiastic, innovative, organized and nurturing Director of Christian Education (DCE) to provide faith formation leadership in our educational ministry. Programming includes an emphasis on shaping our children and youth programs (birth through 20) and evaluating, innovating, and implementing adult programs. This part-time position (20 hours) will report to the Senior Pastor.
Key Characteristics and Leadership Qualities
The Director of Christian Education will earn the respect and trust of the staff and membership of the West Parish Church through demonstrated ability to nurture and enrich faith development, good judgement, and collaboration. The individual will be able to plan and supervise both year-long Christian Education needs such as Sunday School as well as short programs for adults and one-day events such as the Advent Workshop and Youth-led Sunday morning services.
To successfully manage these programs, this individual will have strong organization and communication skills and be able to harness the energy of volunteers with a wide range of talents. Throughout this ministry, this individual will have a solid base of theological understanding and be able to both provide resources for faith exploration as well as create an environment where individuals of all ages are inspired to explore their own faith and the bridges among other faiths.
- Create, implement, resource, and manage innovative children/youth faith formation and educational programs including Sunday morning programming, youth group programming, children and youth worship service segments
- Oversee special programs during the year to meet the specific needs of the church’s educational ministry and all children’s ministries
- Evaluate and present curriculum to the Education Ministry for approval
- Serve as professional staff coordinator for the Christian Education Ministry and program and inspire and organize adult volunteers to support the children’s ministry
- Help recruit, staff, train, support and nurture both youth and adult faith formation programs and education
- Attend all Ministry of Education meetings and work with the Ministry in the formation of programs and policies
- Create and lead children/youth messaging during worship services with authority and warmth
- Develop annual CE budget for approval by Ministry of Education
- Prepare an annual Education Ministry Report
- Serve as a resource for youth and adult faith development including staying up-to-date on the latest methods in church education and bring them to the attention of the Ministry of Education, Sr. Pastor and teachers.
- Ensure that the children’s ministry and all faith formation programs operate under safe church guidelines
- Internship, field education, undergraduate or master’s degree in Ministry or Divinity preferred but not required - we welcome applicants with a passion and commitment to Christian faith, knowledge of scripture, and understanding of the Bible’s great stories and themes
- Participation in the full sacramental life of the church is possible for those ordained or in discernment
- CORI background check required
- Flexible, partial remote, 20 hours per week, 48 weeks per year
- Reports to the Senior Pastor
About West Parish Church
We believe that we are called to love one another as God loves us. A member of the United Church of Christ (UCC), we are a community who believes in extravagant welcome. We advocate justice for all. We extend hospitality as a sign of God's inclusive love. We work with — not against — people of other faith.
We welcome all people of faith, or in search of faith, including in all of our staff positions, without regard to age, marital status, race, national origin, gender, economic condition, physical or mental challenge or sexual orientation. We accept our responsibility to be Stewards of the Earth and the People, who live on the Earth. You'll find that people at West Parish have a wide range of religious beliefs, and we are all accepted, no matter where we are on life's journey. If you want to seek God, find meaning and community, and follow Jesus' ways of compassion and justice, then you are welcome!
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $27,140.00 per year
Contact: Jason Harding
Address: 129 Reservation Road Andover MA 01810