Designated Term Director of Music
-Allin Congregational Church, Dedham, MA
Designated Term Director of Music, Allin Congregational Church, UCC (An Open and Affirming Church)
Dates of designated term ~ Monday, October 19, 2020 - Sunday, June 20, 2021
The Director of Music will guide the vision for the music ministry, facilitate leadership and participation from within the congregation, and develop and maintain a music program that is in keeping with the needs and resources of the congregation at this very particular pandemic related time. This position will require a familiarity with technology related to remote/semi-remote choir direction and administration. This position is paid hourly, requiring approx. 10 hours per week depending on creativity and technology levels.
More specifically, the Director of Music will:
● Be passionate for music ministry
● Play our historic Skinner organ and piano
● Direct choir for all worship services (including special services and YouTube and/or LiveStream worship services)
● Select and work with minister in the selection of music for various worship themes for all worship services
● Develop, maintain, and direct a vibrant adult choir
● Technologically savvy and creative with both administrative and music related software and hardware
● Plan and prepare special music programs (Music Sundays, additional concerts/programs at will)
● Foster the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministry
● Participate in a cooperative, collaborative, and creative team setting
● Stay current with emerging sacred music literature and practices networking with organizations, people, and resources
in and beyond the congregation
● Communicate with minister and staff regularly regarding church schedule and worship
● Collaborate with the Minister on music for worship services
● Co-ordinate music components for the preparation of weekly service bulletins using Google Docs
● Arrange for services of substitute organist/pianist/choir director if needed
The candidate should be self-directed with strong communication and leadership skills. Additionally, the candidate must be:
● Proficient on the organ (ours is a Skinner Organ/Rodger’s Console) and piano
● Knowledgeable in Google software, word processing, zoom, etc (iMovie, Garageband, or other music/movie making
or audio recording software a plus!)
● Skilled at creatively and joyfully directing a range of choral voices and familiar with effective methods and vocal
● Interested in and knowledgeable of a wide range of music
● Experienced working with volunteers and committees
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate will have at least a bachelor’s degree in music, or equivalent level of experience in playing organ and directing choirs.
● Remuneration for this position is hourly in the range of $35-$45/hour depending on education level and experience.
● This position reports to both the Pastor and the Music Ministry
● Candidate is subject to Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) background check as required by our Child Safe
Policy prior to hiring.
Contact: Sam Griesmer
Church address: 683 High Street, Dedham, MA 02026 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email resume and brief cover letter.
Location: Allin Congregational Church, UCC
Contact: Sam Griesmer
Address: 683 High St. Dedham MA 02026
Attached file(s): view file