The Church Administrator is to be present in the church building, primarily in the office, during the agreed business hours. They are expected to work cooperatively with all staff, church committee/ministry teams, and designated leaders, always maintaining appropriate boundaries with confidential data and interpersonal matters. When in doubt the CA will check with their supervisor (Senior Pastor) before sharing information. The CA endeavors to conduct themselves in ways consistent with the Christian values of compassion, fairness, and inclusion. The CA reports to the Senior Pastor. They engage constructively in all conversations related to evaluation, goal setting, and job performance.
The Church Administrator manages the daily operations of the church office including:
- Greets immediately and makes welcome all persons entering the church offices, assisting them in finding the help they need.
- Answers the church telephones in a pleasant, helpful manner.
- Answers questions from internal and external sources via all modes of communication in a timely manner.
- Prepares and distributes worship material such as bulletin and visual media in collaboration with the Senior Pastor and in cooperation with other staff members and the chair of the Board of Deacons.
- Publishes and distributes weekly and monthly digital and print newsletters, social media, and website material.
- Oversees creation of new church website.
- Coordinates all church mailings, recruiting volunteers as needed.
- Creates and/or edits all church publications, print and digital (e.g., Annual Report).
- Along with the Senior Pastor, other staff, and lay leaders, becomes a strong advocate of church programs and events and is diligent in provoking critical and creative conversation about how to best tell the story of Centre Church through print, digital, and social media outlets.
- Sorts all incoming mail.
- Obtains and keeps organized all church office supplies.
- Maintains the Centre Church calendar and manages the rental use of the church building with the chair(s) of Finance Ministries. Alerts staff, committees, renters, and/or Tower Day School for potential conflicts or difficulties related to building use.
- Manages church door keys and the lists of who holds those keys.
- Supervises the work of the Sexton in collaboration with the Chair(s) of Finance
Ministries, the Director and Administrator of Tower Day School, and the Senior
- Coordinates tracking and recording of contact information for all visitors and newcomers to the congregation, maintaining church database information.
- Maintains an up-to-date directory (People Book) and investigates establishing and maintaining an online directory platform.
- Maintains Centre Church’s CORI records ensuring compliance with our Safe Church Policy.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all inspections of church systems, including but not limited to; elevator, fire and safety, and insurance board.
- Attends staff and church meetings as requested.
- Receives invoices/bills from vendors or reimbursement requests from employees or Church members, enters the relevant expenses in Church Windows, prints checks and leaves them for the Church Treasurer to review and sign, and mails checks to vendors.
- Updates PayChex with payroll information, including salary changes or payroll information and documentation for New Hires.
- Handles and documents disbursements from petty cash.
- Receives mail/email and brings any relevant financial matters contained therein to the attention of the Treasurer or Financial Secretary.
This is a 30 hours per week position, Monday – Friday from 9 am – 3 pm or equivalent as negotiated.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $20.00 per hour
Because our building also houses a Preschool Program, we follow all COVID-19 precautions required by the State of Massachusetts and are regularly assessing and following COVID-19 precautions for any in-person church programming within our building.
Ability to commute to:
- Lynnfield, MA 01940
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Administrative experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Centre Congregational Church is an Open and Affirming (ONA) community of the United Church of Christ, established in Lynnfield, Massachusetts in 1720. Since 1956 Centre Church also operates Tower Day School, a weekday Preschool Program for the local community. We are seeking a Church Administrator to work 30 hours per week. The Church Administrator (CA) is responsible for all administrative functions of the church. The CA creates and maintains a welcoming presence in the church office and on the telephone to all persons coming into Centre Church. They ensure that the church building is appropriately scheduled, coordinating church needs for meeting space with regular and intermittent rentals. The CA ensures the accurate and timely strategy for all communications, including website, social media, public relations messages, and digital or print collateral to consistently articulate the ministries and values of Centre Church. The CA is responsible for establishing a friendly, helpful tone in the church office. The CA also maintains open communication and an ethic of cooperation with the Director, Administrator, and staff of Tower Day School.
Qualifications and Competencies
- High School diploma
- Must be a self-starter and capable and/or customer service of independent work
- Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in MS Windows; Microsoft Office Suite, incl. Word and Excel; Google Workspace, including serving as Administrator for our Nonprofits Workspace account
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree
- Experience in office management and/or customer service
- Church or Nonprofit experience a plus
- Church database experience (Church Windows a plus)
- Understanding of an accounting system a plus
Location: Centre Congregational Church
Contact: Reverend Nancy Rottman
Address: 5 Summer Street Lynnfield MA 01940