The First Congregational Church of Darien (FCCD) is seeking an outgoing and seasoned office professional with demonstrable computer, organizational, interpersonal, website and social media skills to manage the day-to-day operations of a busy church office. Responsibilities include administrative and clerical office duties, office coordination, communications, database management, facility management, and supervision of the Sexton as necessary.
The position is part-time exempt, $30 per hour, no benefits except paid time off and paid holidays; 29 hours per week, with the expectation of Monday through Friday from 9:00-3:30, with one day 9:00-2:30.
We are looking for an individual with a keen attention to detail, who is able to work independently and as part of a team and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Greet visitors, vendors, and members of the congregation; answer phones, relay calls and take messages. Professionally and courteously handle routine requests for information, assist Church members, and assist and direct callers to appropriate sources for help.
- Work closely with the Senior Minister and staff coordinating schedules and work; assist with communications, and relay to Senior Minister important information regarding the congregation (i.e., sicknesses, births/deaths, and other areas of pastoral concern).
- Supervise the weekday Sexton, monitor the weekend Sexton(s), and review timesheets.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- When required, oversee contractors and outside vendors in their work for the Church.
- Receive and take deliveries of mail and packages.
- Work within budgets of time, funds, and personal energy.
- Uphold and maintain Safe Church Policy at all times.
- Responsible for the comprehensive compilation of weekly bulletins, annual reports, and all other specialty publications put out by the Church (works closely with the Senior Minister, staff, members of the congregation and various committees to produce).
- Create and edit programs/certificates for weddings, baptisms, memorial services, Confirmation, and other special services as required.
- Administer official master calendar for internal and external programs.
- Coordinate and maintain the FCCD website, and manage weekly, the electronic and social media presence for the Church, in order to provide timely, accurate, and positive communication for the Church.
- Assist Board Chairs with the updating of bulletin boards as needed.
- Maintain the Breeze Church management database, as well as all Church files, records, and forms, including but not limited to baptisms, weddings, confirmations, and member lists including new members, transfers, and deaths.
- Regularly track weekly worship attendance and provide weekly reports to Senior Minister for pastoral outreach.
- Create and manage forms for registration and attendance at events and services in Breeze, working with Board Chairs.
- Routinely confirm that key Church computer files are backed up and recoverable.
- Coordinate facility room usage for all internal meetings and events. Supervise Sexton as needed for setup and custodial support.
- Coordinate facility room rental for outside groups including managing contracts and room deposits and arranging and supervising Sexton as needed for setup and custodial support.
- Maintain backup for key control, security procedures, and fire alarm procedures.
- Oversee office purchases and equipment lease negotiations.
- Monitor and order office and worship supplies, within the Church budget.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred, but not required), or equivalent relevant experience.
- Excellent computer proficiency, with demonstrable skills with all Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook. Knowledge of G-Suite products (Sheets, Docs, Calendar) and email marketing programs (like Constant Contact or MailChimp) desired.
- Experience with database management software and a willingness to learn Breeze is essential.
- Web site maintenance skills, as well as a proficiency utilizing social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram are required. Experience with Adobe Photoshop or Canva a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills; creativity in producing attractive publications and communications is seen as a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in an office setting with frequent interruptions.
- Per Church guidelines, the employee may not be a FCCD Church member, or a relative of a FCCD member, now or in the future.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The First Congregational Church of Darien is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Facilities are open on a limited basis. All employees, members, and visitors are required to wear masks in commons areas. Time in the office is expected due to the confidentiality of records; the Church Administrator can have some flexibility to work from home as needed when approved by the Senior Minister.
We are only considering resume and cover letters submissions via email. All cover letters and resumes should be sent to FCCDJobSearch@gmail.com. Please name your documents as follows: RESUME-LAST NAME.PDF and COVER LETTER-LAST NAME.PDF. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please visit www.uccdarien.org to learn more about The First Congregational Church of Darien.
Location: First Congregational Church of Darien
Contact: Karen Brennan
Address: 14 Brookside Road Darien CT 06820
Attached file(s): view file