Who We Are: United Parish in Brookline is a progressive Christian church located in Coolidge Corner, Brookline MA 02446. Our 1873 church building, a registered historic landmark, is home to a vibrant Christian congregation, the Brookline Food Pantry, and a number of local community and performing arts groups. A Capital Campaign, which will in part address the needs of the historic building, is planned. The property also includes a parsonage (a church house traditionally provided for a member of the clergy) which is currently rented.
What We Believe: United Parish in Brookline believes that equity, diversity and inclusion are critical to fostering a workplace culture where everyone thrives. We seek to follow the example of Jesus Christ by welcoming everyone in our worship, our fellowship, and our leadership, irrespective of gender, sexual identity, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, or economic means. At United Parish in Brookline we believe that all people are made in the image of God. No Exceptions.
Job Summary: United Parish in Brookline seeks a Building Manager for a historic church building. The Building Manager serves as an active and collaborative member of the leadership team working to support the congregation, and building users, by providing a safe, clean, and comfortable environment for gathering. The Building Manager is responsible for all physical resources, building mechanical systems, and the management of building user relationships. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to, and may be amended at the discretion of the Parish Administrator):
- Oversee the maintenance and operations of the building to ensure a safe, secure, clean, and well-functioning facility that meets the needs of building users.
- Hire, train, evaluate, and direct the day-to-day activities of custodial/event staff (Sextons) to ensure a clean, safe, and welcoming environment.
- Oversee maintenance and care of exterior spaces; including snow removal, landscaping, etc.
- Work closely with the Parish Administrator, Senior Pastor, Church Leadership, and Church Ministry teams to inform stakeholders of building conditions.
- Regularly interact with congregation members and building users, responding to building concerns and resolving them quickly.
- Work with the Church Treasurer to prepare and manage a budget for maintenance, building improvement projects, building supplies, and staffing.
- Negotiate contracts with, and supervise the activities of, building trades and contractors to assure timely and cost-effective work.
- Manage building user relationships, including: scheduling, maintaining the building use calendar, negotiating fees and contracts, addressing needs and concerns, and ensuring building users adhere to church use policies.
- On-Call: available to respond to emergencies during working and off-hours, including snow removal.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends (e.g. covering a staff illness or vacation, planned community work projects, etc.).
- A college degree or educational/experiential equivalency; 3+ years experience managing physical building systems, building user relationships, budgets, and staff supervision.
- Demonstrated familiarity with mechanical systems (heating, electrical, etc.).
- Familiarity with code and licensing requirements.
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to set priorities and assess needs; problem solving; the ability to understand and perform daily maintenance tasks.
- The ability to calmly and effectively deal with stressful situations; flexible, resilient and resourceful.
- Computer proficient (Google Docs, MS Office).
- Enjoy working with people from diverse backgrounds; compassionate, patient, friendly, and always willing to lend a helping hand.
- Prior experience working with a religious or other not-for-profit organization in a similar role is a plus.
Essential Employee Status: The Building Manager is designated an essential employee and is on call during emergency situations and when severe weather conditions may impact building safety and accessibility.
Physical Requirements: The Building Manager is required to be able to lift up to 50 pounds, perform daily physical activities, including walking around the building, up and down stairs, occasional climbing of ladders, use of power tools/equipment, and to access all areas of the facility to inspect the physical condition of the building. Work takes place both indoors and outdoors, at times during inclement/extreme weather events (cold, wet, snowy, or hot conditions).
Compensation and Benefits: The Building Manager is a full-time, exempt, permanent, salaried employee, reporting to the Parish Administrator.
- Salary: $70,000 per year.
- Benefits: Full medical, dental, vision.
- Personal Time Off (PTO).
- 401(k) Plan with employer match.
- Education, Professional Training, and Travel Allowances.
Employment Conditions: Prior to employment, United Parish in Brookline requires all prospective employees to:
- Provide proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
- Undergo a CORI background check.
- Confirm their identity and legal work authorization.
Equal Opportunity Employer: United Parish in Brookline is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law. United Parish in Brookline encourages and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Process: Qualified applicants will be phone screened to review the job and their qualifications. Successful phone interviews will be followed by in-depth, in person, interviews with the hiring team at United Parish’s Brookline location. Upon the positive review of professional references from previous employers, a job offer will be extended to the selected candidate.
Location: United Parish in Brookline
Contact: Sarah Fitzpatrick
Address: 210 Harvard Street Brookline MA 02446
Email: Click to email