Board of Ministerial Aid
Board of Ministerial Aid
Financial and Counseling Assistance
For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.
[ Hebrews 6:10 NRSV ]
We’re here to help
The Board of Ministerial Aid, founded in 1869, provides confidential financial assistance and counseling both to clergy and their families who serve, or have served in the historic Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ and other churches of the "congregational way".
The founding members of the Board understood the challenges of pastoring and established a fund to assist clergy and their families in times of need. That fund has been supplemented over the years with private donations and proceeds from its portfolio. The Board’s role is to use that fund to model the compassionate care of Christ and continue to help ensure the financial well-being of the Conference’s pastors.
If you or a clergy person you know could benefit from any of these programs, please contact the Board's President or your Associate Conference Minister. If assistance needed is for someone else, encourage him/her to contact us directly; you also may contact us on his/her behalf.
Confidentiality is of primary importance
No matter which path you take in seeking Ministerial Aid, you have the comfort of knowing that we strictly enforce procedures that protect the privacy of those we help.
Types of Assistance
- Emergency Grants for an unexpected, immediate need (such as out-of-pocket medical expenses, death in family, other extra-ordinary expenses), as a bridge toward a long term financial solution.
- Quarterly Grants for retired clergy and/or spouses/partners to supplement inadequate retirement income.
- Financial Counseling for active and retired ministers who have standing in the historic Massachusetts Conference and have excessive credit card debts, are unable to balance income with expenses, or wonder about the best way to catch up with unpaid bills. [Dedicated line at Money Management International (MMI): 866-722-1876. See below for more information.]
- Pastoral Counseling for clergy who seek or are referred for pastoral counseling. Centers are available in several Massachusetts locations. Our counseling partners draw on the rich traditions both of psychology and spirituality.
- Christmas Gifts: financial assistance for retired clergy and/or spouses/partners — offered in cooperation with the Pension Board.
The Board of Ministerial Aid (BMA) is an independent non-profit organization.
To get more information or to apply for help, contact one of the Associate Conference Ministers or the President of the Board of Ministerial Aid, Walter Kreil at 978-944-0259 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Brochure.
For Pastoral Counseling, call:
- Pastoral Counseling Centers of Massachusetts
Westboro, Worcester, Hudson areas
- NE Pastoral Institute
Eastern Massachusetts including Boston metro area
The Board of Ministerial Aid has formed a relationship with Money Management International to provide financial counseling services for active and retired ministers who have standing in the Massachusetts Conference. If you have excessive credit card debts, are unable to balance income with expenses, or wonder about the best way to catch up with unpaid bills;
MMI can assist you with issues such as these at no cost to you.