The Eastern Regional Youth Event is a great way for youth (grades 7-12) to learn leadership skills and connect with the wider church. Youth from Maryland to Maine will gather on July 19-22 at California University of Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.
The Eastern Regional Youth Event (ERYE) is for the individual who is ready to grow in faith and leadership. ERYE will help youth to …
- Find friends and ‘family’—Youth will connect with ‘siblings’ from CT as well as other conferences. They will experience the diversity of the United Church of Christ, and even have the chance to meet the German exchange students who partner with our New York and Central Atlantic Conferences.
- Find fun—There will be lots of opportunities for recreation and fellowship! Our host site, Cal U has a pool, a rock wall, basketball court, in addition to great spaces for field games.
- Find faith—This event will encourage youth to try on new spiritual practices to see what fits. Titles include magic circle of mandalas; guided meditation with Obi Wan; praying with color, clay, beads and ribbons; and running the labyrinth.
- Find inspiration—ERYE is a chance to hear from other young voices. Speakers will share on topics such as gender identity, disability ministries, environmental advocacy, and poverty. Our worship music will be provided by Convergence Music Project, and youth can work with these talented singer-songwriters to help craft worship.
- Find a passion—We will dig in to the theme “A Just World For All” and learn how to model the Three Great Loves—love of neighbor, love of children, and love of creation. ERYE features a day of service work with the Lemoyne Center in Washington County, an area hit hard by unemployment. ERYE will help youth to discern their own gifts and consider their call.
Debby Kirk, Rev. Shawn Garan, and Rachel Solomon will staff the trip. The cost is $375 and scholarships are available. Please register by May 31 to reserve your spot. The CT conference is teaming up with MA and RI to offer bus transportation at $100 per person. Space is limited, so sign up today!
Contact Debby Kirk, CT Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries for more information.
Debby Kirk is the Faith Formation Team Leader of the Southern New England Conference. She serves on the Faith Formation Team and oversees the Youth and Young Adult Ministries programs of the Conference. She organizes leadership development programs ...