We have been hearing a lot lately about Omicron and Delta, which are the coronaviruses circulating currently. The Delta variant has been causing severe illness in many, increasing hospitalizations and death rates once again. Researchers are studying the new Omicron variant and believe it may spread more rapidly, however it may lead to more mild illness. Now is the time to get your COVID booster shot if you are eligible (over 16 years of age and at least 6 months since your last Covid vaccine dose). Get your children over age 5 vaccinated too!
Don’t be stopped by Influenza (Flu)! If you have not gotten your flu shot, now is the time! Flu activity levels in the U.S are currently low but as the colder weather sets in they are beginning to increase. Flu shots are available at physicians’ offices, clinics and pharmacies. Go to your state website listed below to find a location near you.
Here is what you need to know to protect yourself and others:
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should get vaccinated for flu every year.
- Flu shots help prevent illness, hospitalizations, and deaths
- Prevent the spread of the Flu and Covid by following these tips:
- Stay home if you are sick, avoid close contact with others who are sick
- Know When to Wash Your Hands - this free poster demonstrates how
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean and disinfect high touch areas such as doorknobs frequently
- Eat healthy food, drink plenty of water, get some exercise and get plenty of sleep.
- If you think you might have the flu, talk to your healthcare provider, get tested, and take antiviral medication is ordered.
- Take Three Actions to Prevent the Flu posters from the CDC can be downloaded free!
Stay well this holiday season and protect those you love too!
Debbie Ringen supports the Conference vision to make God’s love and justice real through wellness ministry at the Conference and local church level. In addition to providing resources, educational workshops, blogs and networking opportunities, she is...